Enhancing Climate Resiliency through Strengthening MFMA Management Effectiveness in Kampong Smach, Prey Nob District
Cambodia is considered one of the most vulnerable countries to climate change impacts such as flood, droughts and storm sometimes. As the coastal province, Preah Sihanouk recently had a rapid urban development which benefits for economic growth and tourism but facing some challenges of environment such as decrease a forest, pollution, climate change etc. In purpose to stabilize the society and conserve the marine species, forest (mangrove), we could apply effective management of the MFMA/MPA which located in Prey Nob District and it’s a good sign to enhancing and adaptive climate change in our province too.
Beside the law and instruction, our project will take another way by supporting and promoting the community, public sharing awareness and education on building resources for sustainability of implementing and managing, collaborating with stakeholders on protected and restoration our coastal, forest and weather.
Enhance climate resiliency through the conservation and protection of the fishery resources, the mangrove forest, promotion of sustainable livelihood and enhancing the capacities of local authorities and communities in the sustainable management of the resources in the area
1. Support the establishment of Preak Kampong Smach as Marine Fishery Management Area (MFMA)/Marine Protected Area (MPA) under the broader Integrated Coastal Management (ICM) framework;
2. Establish mechanism (eg. Policy, legal and institutional arrangement) and apply technical tools for effective and sustainable MFMA/MPA management;
3. Conduct capacity building and awareness raising of local authorities and coastal communities for management and monitoring resource in Kampong Smach and Document good practices and lesson learn from other senior management projector; and
4. Initiated the implementation of alternative livelihood associated with the marine protection and conservation activities.
To improved management of MFMA/MPA, this entails pursuing the legal pronouncement for the area to be protected by having the legal framework, the area organized groups will have mandate to enforce laws and policies. This process will definite the clear boundaries of the zoning plan and prohibited and permitted activities within these zones. This will have done with concerned stakeholders to promote ownership of the results. Once approval, the information center will be set up which can also server as learning site for school and other groups later on. Community groups will be trained and mobilized to conduct regular patrolling to conduct regular patrolling operations in the site to prevent illegal activities.
Furthermore, eco-tourism initiation as supplemental livelihood for communities will be implement to provide addition source of income for them. By conducting training and invest for communities to start small eco-tourism business after training. And building capacity of staff with networking with other MPAs/ Protected area through experience learning and share lesson learn from in-country partner.
Outputs and Key Activities
• MFMA boundary map, zoning map and resource map • MFMA zoning regulation or restriction • A national declaration of MFMA for Kampong Smach • Roadmap for MFMA implementation in Kampong Smach • Pilot eco-tourism roadmap in Kampong Smach • Flyer, facebook page and Community Information Center • SMART data-based reporting • Workshop and training course • Mangrove Health Monitoring • METT Assessment • Case Study on co-management and good practice of MFMA
June 2021 – November 2023
- PEMSEA (Partnerships in Environmental Management for the Seas of East Asia)
|Prey Nob District
Prey Sihanouk Province