Functions and Duties
The NCSD Secretariat has the following functions and duties:
- Coordinate and perform day-to-day work in accordance with instructions and decisions of the NCSD;
- Develop NCSD’s programmes and work plans to submit to the NCSD for review and approval;
Lead and coordinate implementation of the programmes and work plans approved by NCSD;
- Facilitate preparation of legal instruments, policy, strategic plans, action plans, programmes and projects related to sustainable development;
- Coordinate and support the implementation of legal instruments, policy, strategic plans, action plans, programmes and projects related to sustainable development and conduct review, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and reporting regularly;
- Mobilise and manage resources for implementation of the legal instruments, policy, strategic plans, action plans, programmes and projects related to sustainable development;
- Propose establishment of mechanisms required for sectoral issues related to NCSD’s roles and duties and provide support to relevant activities and regular operations of the mechanisms;
- Coordinate and support the strengthening of cooperation related to sustainable development with development partners, civil society, private sector, academia, and relevant stakeholders at national, regional and global levels;
- Lead and coordinate research and study, education, training and exchange of technologies related to sustainable development;
- Manage data and disseminate information related to sustainable development and NCSD’s activities to the public;
- Review and study the possibility to participate in international agreements related to sustainable development for NCSD;
- Develop draft position papers and strategy for participation in international negotiations relevant to sustainable development;
- Facilitate preparation of national report in accordance with international agreements relevant to sustainable development to which Cambodia is a party;
- Participate in national, regional and international meetings on issues related to sustainable development;
- Manage NCSD’s finance and budget;
- Organise meetings, take minutes and produce report of the NCSD;
- Develop monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, nine-monthly, and annual report for NCSD; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the NCSD and chairperson of the NCSD’s Executive Committee.
Department of Administration, Planning and Finance
Science and Technology
MoU / Agreements
Sustainable development work does not stand alone and silo approach doesn’t work. NCSD and its General Secretariat engage through formal partnerships a wide range of stakeholders, including with academia, local and international NGO and private sector, to strengthen scientific evidence-based policy development in different areas of sustainable development.
The NCSD General Secretariat having Memorandum of Understanding with partners for certain areas of work.
- The China-ASEAN Environmental Cooperation Center of the Ministry of Ecology and Environment of the People’s Republic of China and Beijing Qiaonyu Foundation. The cooperation is to enhance the capacity of biodiversity conservation, management and sustainable use of biological diversity and ecosystem services through technical support, training, personal exchange as well as other activities as deemed necessary by the three parties.
- The State Atomic Energy Corporation “Rosatom” (The Russian Federation) on 1) the establishment of Information Center of Nuclear Energy and 2) on the establishment of a Cambodia-Russia Joint Working Group on Cooperation in the use of Atomic Energy for Peaceful Purposes.
- The Royal University of Agriculture (RUA), Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP), Mean Chey University (MCU), Prek Leap National College of Agriculture (PNCA), University of Heng Samrin Thbongkhmum (UHST), and Institute of Technology of Cambodia (ITC) to strengthen policy development based on research evidence in key areas of sustainable development, including but not limited to climate change, biodiversity, green economy, science and technology and sustainable use of natural resources.
- The Asia Foundation on Collaboration and Capacity Building on Green Economy. The cooperation is to strengthen, promote and develop cooperation in the areas of solar energy (distributed generation from roof tops and also off-grid in communities), solid waste management and other policy needs.
- The Energy Laboratory Limited on Collaboration and Promotion of Clean Energy Innovation. The cooperation is to strengthen, promote and develop cooperation in the areas of clean energy innovation and entrepreneurship, supporting the sustainable development and the green economy.
- The ASEM SMEs Eco-Innovation Center for capacity building and promotion of low-carbon industrial development.
- The Song Saa Group on Collaboration and Promotion of sustainable Development and Green Economy. The cooperation focusses on tourism, hospitality, energy and water conservation, integrated conservation and community development and the nexus between philanthropy, sustainability and business. This agreement covers capacity building, research, community development and environmental protection.
- The Global Green Growth Institute on Green Growth Cooperation. The cooperation is to facilitate cooperation and collaboration to promote programs, research and joint activities in support of capacity building and the planning and implementation of green growth of the kingdom of Cambodia.
- The Non-Timber Forest Products Exchange Programme (NTFP-EP) on initiation and innovation in sustainable consumption and production toward sustainable communities.