Strategic Program for Climate Resilience (SPCR)
High risks of floods and drought, combined with poverty and low adaptive capacity, make Cambodia one of the most vulnerable countries in the world. With funding from the Climate Investments Funds-Pilot Program for Climate Resilience (PPCR), the Royal Government of Cambodia, with support from the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank Group, prepared the Strategic Program for Climate Resilience, comprising seven investment projects in key sectors¾agriculture, water resources, transport and urban development¾ and a technical assistance (TA) on mainstreaming climate resilience into development planning. The PPCR enhances resilience in key sectors, strengthens technical and institutional capacities, and builds adaptation knowledge for scaled up actions.
The SPCR supports inter-ministerial collaboration, effective engagement of stakeholders, and collaboration within government agencies and with civil society organizations, other development partners and the private sector. The underlying success of the SPCR lies in transforming national and sub-national development at policy and operational levels to be more risk-responsive, climate-resilient and gender-sensitive.
To mainstream climate resilience into national and sub-national development policies, plans and projects supported by scaled up financing of adaptation activities in the key development sectors.
The outcome of the PPCR is increased resilience of communities, ecosystems and infrastructure to climate change through
- enhanced climate-resilient infrastructure development and investments;
- improved capacity to mainstream climate resilience into policies, plans, programs and projects; and
- increased involvement of women and other vulnerable groups, civil society organizations and the private sector in decisions that affect climate resilience at local, provincial and national levels.
- Climate Proofing of Roads in Prey Veng, Svay Rieng, Kampong Chhnang and Kampong Speu Provinces as part of Provincial Roads Improvement Project
- Climate Proofing of Agricultural Infrastructure and Business- focused Adaptation as part of Climate Resilient Rice Commercialization Sector Development Program
- Enhancement of Flood and Drought Management in Pursat Province as part of the Greater Mekong Subregion Flood and Drought Management and Mitigation Project
- Climate Proofing of Infrastructure in the Southern Economic Corridor (SEC) towns as part of GMS Southern Economic Corridor Towns Development Project
- Promoting Climate-Resilient Agriculture in Koh Kong and Mondulkiri Provinces as part of the Greater Mekong Subregion Biodiversity Conservation Corridors Project
- Flood-resilient Infrastructure Development in Pursat and Kampong Chhnang Towns as part of the Integrated Urban Environmental Management in the Tonle Sap Basin Project
- Climate Resilient Rural Infrastructure in Kampong Cham Province as part of the Rural Roads Improvement Project II
- Mainstreaming Climate Resilience into Development Planning