Call for Expressions of Interest: Passive Cooling Strategies Demonstration Building
The project, “Passive Cooling Strategies for Sustainable Development in Cambodia,” is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Environment, Government of Cambodia with the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN ESCAP) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) under the framework of the Cool Coalition (hereinafter referred to as the “Project Team”).
Passive cooling strategies refer to technologies or approaches which reduce cooling demand in a building without the use of energy. This consists of strategies such as improving the microclimate of the site using nature-based solutions, shading of the building envelope, insulation of the building envelope, building airtightness, cool roofs, and enhanced ventilation of interior spaces. Scientific studies have demonstrated that the effective integration of passive cooling strategies can lead to a reduction in cooling demand by 15-20%, and thus reduced energy consumption for cooling, which for most buildings represents the highest electricity demand centres.
The project aims at accelerating the adoption of passive cooling strategies in Cambodia to support the nation to achieve its energy and climate goals. This will be achieved through:
1) policy interventions in the form of building regulations,
2) a demonstration of the energy-saving effectiveness and potential of passive cooling strategies in the Cambodian context, and
3) capacity building activities for local building sector stakeholders on the selection and implementation of passive cooling strategies.
To realize the objectives of the project, the Project Team is currently seeking candidate demonstration buildings to be considered for project participation.
The candidate buildings may either be new construction, or existing and available for renovations or additions. The building may be a standalone structure, or part of a larger development. The project should be at a stage where the design can be modified to integrate passive cooling strategies, to be included at the construction stage. The project should have financial closure and budget allocated for the full construction of the project, including passive cooling elements.
Project Participation Details
The project is calling for Expressions of Interest (EoIs) from building and real estate owners/developers (hereafter referred to as the “Owner/Developer”) interested in participating in the project and receiving technical support for the design and integration of passive cooling strategies to realize energy savings. The building may be new construction or existing. For the selected candidate building, support from the Project Team will be provided to the Owner/Developer to:
- Evaluate the potential for the integration of passive cooling strategies and an estimate of impacts and related energy savings;
- Integrate cost-effective passive cooling solutions in the building design to maximise the energy-savings potential;
- Ensure the effective integration of passive cooling strategies and energy monitoring systems during tendering, procurement and construction;
- Monitor and analyse impacts of the passive cooling solutions on the building
In addition, following the commissioning and occupancy of the building, the Project Team and Owner/Developer will collaborate to:
- Providing project information to future occupants/owners and gaining consent to conduct ongoing building monitoring for at least one year;
- Ensure continuous access to the building, cooling and monitoring equipment, and data on indoor temperature, humidity and cooling-related energy consumption for at least a one-year period following occupancy;
- Evaluate cooling effects (thermal comfort indices and indoor temperature, humidity and air flow) and final energy savings attributable to the integration of passive cooling strategies.
Following the selection of the candidate building and formalisation of the collaboration, the Project Team will conduct the following key activities:
- An assessment of applicable passive cooling strategies on the candidate building design, potential incremental costs at construction vs. BAU building and potential impacts in terms of energy and cost savings to provide info on emissions reductions and ROI);
- Organization of a four-day, hands-on integrated design charrette to integrate passive colling solutions in the building design with the Owner/Developer and their design team, including but not limited to project architect, mechanical engineer, energy/green building consultant, landscape designer, and project management team.
- Technical advice and support to integrate the selected passive cooling solutions in the building design and for the construction procurement process, and to monitor and validate the installation of the passive cooling strategies during construction.
- Support for the integration and installation of provided energy and environment monitoring equipment into the demonstration and BAU building;
In addition to technical support, funds will be offered to offset Owner/Developer added design-related costs (in person time) attributable to the introduction of passive cooling strategies into the project.
By agreeing to participate in the project, the Owner/Developer will commit to:
- Sharing of building design/construction drawings and any energy evaluation documents (eg. CFD) with the Project Team;
- Participation of the building project design and management team in the four-day design charrette;
- Integration of the agreed passive cooling strategies into the final building design;
- Installation of provided energy and environment monitoring equipment;
- Ensuring the availability of project design and management team members throughout the design, construction, commissioning and operational phases;
- Sharing of energy and environment data generated by monitoring and analysing equipment outputs with the Project Team;
Monitored weather data at site and indoor spaces, thermal imaging data during construction (new buildings).
Monitored energy, indoor environment (temperature, humidity) data of the building/spaces, thermal imaging data during and after construction, and site level weather data (existing buildings).
- Bearing any construction costs related to the integration of passive cooling strategies.
- Full data and information sharing on building performance.
- Providing access to the building construction premises for the Project Team during the project period
- Ensure and manage compliance with local and national regulations related to building design and construction.
Candidate buildings will be evaluated according to a number of factors, including but limited to adherence to project building specifications, potential for passive cooling design integration, replicability, scalability, public accessibility, etc.
Timeline of the Call for Expression of Interest
- Launch of the Call for Expression of Interest (EoI): 20 April 2023
- EoI final submission date: 12 May 2023
- Project Team review and follow-up with candidates: 12-26 May 2023
- Announcement of selection of the demonstration building: 1 June 2023
Detail information please visit: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc7T8X9q1TtFj6rFGzg29HlkgYACjlGBtz_OXBhTkW1gm-7SQ/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0&dods