The first NBSAP was developed by Cambodia in 2002 and updated in 2016.
There are 24 themes in updated NBSAP 2016 under the four key topics: Biodiversity Conservation, Sustainable Use of Biodiversity and Enabling Environment.
Key achievements of NBSAP activities to date are as follows:
- Institutional and staff capacity building and mainstreaming of biodiversity into relevant sectors;
- Conduction of ex-situ conservation;
- Motivation of involvement and engagement of local communities, indigenous people, the public and civil society in management and conservation of biodiversity, ecosystem and biosafety;
- Expansion of protected areas and biodiversity corridors;
- Development and implementation of policies, legal instrument, strategies, and national priorities in relation to relevance to biodiversity, ecosystems and biosafety;
- Resource mobilization for the implementation of NBSAP through different projects
- Establishment and operations of CHM and national biodiversity database;
- Promotion of education and Awareness-raising on the importance and biological values and ecosystems;
- Ratification of the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization to the Convention on Biological Diversity and Nagoya-Kuala Lumpur Supplementary Protocol on Liability and Redress to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety;
- Promotion and strengthening of scientific cooperation, partnership and network; and Conduction of fauna and flora research and assessment of ecosystems;